If you are an entrepreneur or investor interested in forming a new startup company around a WiSys technology or investing in an existing WiSys startup, please contact a Jennifer Cook for more information and to understand what opportunities exist.
For potential investors, we are happy to provide a personal introduction to startup company management upon request.
Below, entrepreneurs can find steps that may be helpful in understanding the overall process of licensing a technology from WiSys into a new startup company.
Steps to Obtaining a License
Preferably before meeting with WiSys:
- Determine feasibility of proposed company by completing a Feasibility Checklist; and
- Identify founding members that will actively participate in the new startup.
Contact a WiSys staff member to:
- Request a standstill period, if desired;
- Complete and submit full business plan and startup application; and
- Engage in discussion and negotiation.
WiSys will work with you on follow-up actions:
- Approve and execute final agreements; and
- Monitor agreements with your company on an ongoing basis to provide additional support and ensure obligations and milestones are met.
After you have licensed the technology, as with any startup, your company must meet certain milestones and obligations.
Financial obligations may include an upfront fee, patent reimbursement, milestone fees, ongoing royalties or grant of equity. Review our standard licensing terms here.
WiSys also requires the company to submit royalty reports on a quarterly basis once product sales begin. The royalty rate normally is calculated as a percentage of the selling price of product.
Development obligations may also be required.